Any helpful resources we find will go here. If you’ve got one, let us know and we can add it!
- The Lochac Brewers, Vintner and Imbibers Guild Competition Judging Form
- Brewers Guild Basic Tasting Notes Form
Glossaries of Brewing Terms
Basic Brewing Information
- How to Brew – By John Palmer
- Basic Early Medieval Brewing
Making real beer can be easy – by Sir Asbjorn Pedersen Marsvin
- Beer defects – notes from a Canterbury Faire Class 2016
- Beer Body -class notes Sir Asbjorn Pedersen Marsvin – Canterbury Faire 2017
- The process of distillation – class notes Luan an Fael – Cnterbury Faire 2017
- Distilling 101 – class notes Luan an Fael – Cnterbury Faire 2017
- Australian distillation laws Link not available
- SCA Australia Alcohol Policy Link not available
- NZ home-brewing legal info – No link currently available.
Members Brewing Blogs
- The Blacksmith’s Arms -Master Rurik
- Dining with the Khan – Master Drake broken link
- Mead Beer Wine-Bjorn Meadmaker
- Mistress Iseabail’s SCA projects
- Pure Brewing -Sir Asbjorn
To-hop-or-not-to-hop Early medieval beer brewing in Scandinavia and continental Europe – Sir Asbjorn Pedersen Marsvin
- Brewing Laurel’s Challange 2014 – Queen Elizabeths Methaeglen – Documentation from the winning entry.
- Canterbury Faire Cider Comp 2015 – Documentation from the winning entry.
- A taxing double standard – an article on the history and current state of wine taxes in Australia – what the WET is for why it was introduced etc. Only applies to you if you commercially produce wine in Australia -incorrect link
- Writing Documentation – By Jane of Stockton. While the Guild is not about paper work, sometimes a member may want to enter a competition or explain what they have done to other people. This article by Jane unpacks the process.
- Mediaeval Swedish herbal medicine known today as schnapps – Sir Asbjorn Pedersen Marsvin
- How Guild tastings are run at Canterbury Faire
- The Egg Test for Period Brewers – Rohesia Le Sarjent. Research on the use of eggs as hydrometers in medieval mead recipes.
- Recreation of a 14c hopped beer – Documentation from the winning entry, Kingdom A&S Competition Midwinter Coronation 2017 by Sir Asbjorn Pedersen Marsvin.
Primary Sources, References and Bibliography
- Incipit Tractatus de vinis, Arnaldus, de Villanova, -1311. in Latin.
- De Cervisia, Eiusque Conficiendi Ratione, Natura, viribus, & facultatibus 1585 in Latin
- The Closet of Sir Kenelm Digby Knight Opened
by Kenelm Digby (Gutenberg project)
- The London and Country Brewer 1736 (Gutenberg Project)
- Country House Brewing In England 1500- 1900 by Pamela Sambrook
- The Barbarian’s Beverage. A History of Beer in Ancient Europe.
- Wine and the Vine, by Tim Unwin – a history of wine.
- Malt and Malting. H. Stopes 1885
SCA Brewing Guilds, Groups and sites
- Medieval/Renaissance Brewing Homepage, many many links to other resources
- Medieval Brewers Home Page Barony of Forgotten Sea
Other Groups and commmunities
- Got Mead a community of mead-makers
- Gruit ale & unhopped beers
- Society of Beer Advocates, New Zealand
- Campaign for Real Ale, (C.A.M.R.A.) U.K.
- Billy and Dec’s Bronze-Age Beer: Youtube video
Non-SCA Blogs and Articles
- Shut up about Barclay Perkins – Blog by beer historian Ron Pattinson
- Zythophile – Blog by journalist, author and beer historian Martyn Cornell